Saturday, May 28, 2011

30 DoB 6: Can't Drive?

So the other day I mentioned in brief that I can't drive, and I got one or two questions about it. I guess it's something that I don't talk much about on my channel. It doesn't really affect my life much except that I walk everywhere, but those of you who regularly watch my videos know that I have come to really love walking, so it's not even a big deal.

In any case, I have an eye condition that has yet to be actually diagnosed; the symptoms are described as monocular binocular diplopia, which literally means that I have double vision caused by the way my individual eyes are built (I see double when I close one eye) and by the way they work together (I see double with both eyes open). What this amounts to is seeing four images instead of one, all day, every day. A lot of people think this is the kind of thing that can break someone, but I guess I've never really given much thought to it. My brain is really good about convincing me that I only see one of something, so unless I consciously think about the fact that I see four of everything (as I am when writing this post) I hardly notice; after all, it's the way I have seen everything for pretty much my whole life.

In any case, I've actually got an eye appointment in late July with an eye doctor who thinks he knows what the problem could be, which is promising. Most doctors just go through a bunch of tests for me and say "I don't know! What a conundrum," and pass me off to one of their colleagues who runs many of the same tests. It has literally gotten to the point where I go into the eye doctors and say "I don't need to be dilated. You won't find anything new. Just give me a new prescription." It's a little defeatist, but like I said, I really don't mind how it has affected me and I know what the basic tests will come up with. Back on topic, though, this doctor says he can think of a few possibilities that he doesn't think I've been tested for, and says that it's probably something that started in my childhood (imagine that! I could have told someone as much.)

But sarcasm aside, it would be nice to be able to get the problem fixed. It probably means surgery, but hey, I can rock an eye patch for a few days/weeks if it means I'll finally be able to have depth perception.

_________
Sleep: O (gosh darn cold! I was in bed early but drifted in and out of sleep until about 11 AM.)
Blogging: X
Homework: X
Reading: X

4 comments:

  1. I hope this new guy has something new to contribute to your diagnosis.

    I also do not drive, but it's because I have never gotten my license (I'm 26). But this summer, my friend is making me learn how to drive. I'm nervous but excited to see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! I hope you get some answers.
    I have a strabismus that was controlled through glasses for about 12 years and then (hopefully) fixed through surgery (fingers crossed!)3 years ago.
    My depth perception and peripheral vision never showed up after surgery (sometimes they do, sometimes they don't), but I can drive. You just learn cues and cheats to function like everyone else, but I'm sure you've already figured that out.
    Also with the four images thing: is it 4 separated images (like, they don't touch) or overlapped images? I was in prism lenses for awhile after my surgery and would see 4 overlapped images, like an aura or something. I dunno.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooooooh, I wish you all the best with the surgery or whatever it is they do!
    - Jason

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...I hope when I say "how interesting," you don't take it the wrong way, but that's not something that I knew could happen to a person. You have such a positive outlook on it, too! I hope the new eye doctor is able to solve your issue so you can drive.

    ReplyDelete