Thursday, May 26, 2011

30 DoB4: Nostalgia

So I'm going to be done with college in two weeks. It's a weird thought. Just to clarify, I know I said in a video that I graduated three weeks ago--I have to take a 5-week-long post-student-teaching seminar and after that I will have my degree. They just let me go through the ceremony because I was close enough to being done, and every other music education major in the school would have to miss out on graduation as well, and I mean, let's face it, the music school was tiny in comparison to all of the other schools at graduation (except social work) and we needed that representation.

Anyway, one of the things that goes along with graduation is suddenly getting in touch with people you haven't talked to in forever because you feel like reminiscing and talking about the future, and it's a weird, weird thing. This is compounded by the fact that I went to two different elementary schools, two different high schools, and now also have friends on the internet, and many of these people are graduating or have graduated.

The one thing that I've learned is that everybody's future is uncertain, whether it's the music education major who can't decide between a job offer in Idaho and North Dakota or the management major interning with a cable company for the summer. It definitely makes me feel a lot better in that I have one really secure option and one awesome-but-not-so-secure option, but options nonetheless. And of course I'm bursting at the seams to tell the internet in general... but all I can say is that I will for 90% certain be working in a different country starting sometime around August.

The weirder thing about this whole graduating thing is that I have friends who are getting married. The even weirder thing is that there are some who are people I graduated high school with but would never have put together. It was really fun finding that one out through the facebook recommended feature. I just remember looking at my recommended friends and seeing one girl with a really distinctive last name and thinking, "I know a guy with that name... she certainly can't be his sister... and she looks a lot like a girl with the same first nameOHGRACIOUSTHATISHERANDITSNOWHERMAIDENNAME!"

What's also upsetting for me is that I have a really close group of IRL friends here at school, and out of them, I am the only one who will not be here next year; one is staying on for his master's, and the others are all juniors, so they get to hang out every weekend without me. I don't know that I will be jealous, but I'll definitely miss them all dearly.

I think the biggest sign that this is a good thing, though, is that after all this, most of the thoughts running through my head are how wonderful next year will be and how great it will be to experience new cultures and to live on my own and to really take the reins of my own life. And I guess that's what means I'm officially a grown-up.

___________________
As for my goals, I think I'm coming down with a cold, and it's making me very tired, so I slept a little extra this morning, but I don't know that I would count it as an O because it was really just drifting in and out of sleep from 7 AM to 9 AM. I'll leave it as a ? for now.

Sleep: X
Blogging: X
Homework: X
Reading: X

1 comment:

  1. Did you get that spot as the Companion, Steve? XD I kid. But, hey, that's totally great news!
    - Jason

    ReplyDelete