Wednesday, June 2, 2010

30 Days of Summer

So... I've done it again. I'm a very driven and creative person, but I usually need reasons to do things, and during summer, they all go away and I only want to do the things that are most passively entertaining. Well, not entirely passive--I have yet to plant myself in front of the TV for more than an hour at a time, and never more than two hours a day. I have, however, been passive in comparison to what I usually am.

I started off the summer pretty excited for projects, and for a few weeks, I was even successful. I had successful creative ventures (of which my channel will be bearing fruit quite shortly) and was for the most part responsible. But I have recently fallen into the summer doldrums and choose now to pull myself out before it gets worse.

For this reason, I have decided to re-start my "30 days of" projects on which I fell behind, but this time, I will be held responsible by the internet (i.e. you) by having one of my numberless calendars be "30 days of blogging." Now I know that internet friends are notoriously bad at holding each other accountable for promises and, as a result, we're notoriously bad at keeping promises. This is one case in which I ask that you bother me if I am not up to snuff. It does kind of make me feel like I'm using you, but, you know, I'd return the favor any time. So please, please, bug me if I do not meet the goals I set forth.

That being said, these goals need to be fluid, not entirely strict, and this is where problems can arise. I do promise that I will admit when I have failed and will not change the rules to avoid having to admit it, but I must also say that if I find a goal unreasonable, I will change it.

So, you might be wondering: what are my other goals? I do not want to overload myself, and I am also aware of which ones I will do for fun and which I will need to set a goal to complete. As a result, I will only run three calendars this week and will reassess next Tuesday whether I may add more. The first, as previously stated, will be "30 days of blogging." The second will be "30 days of clarinet practice." I've had my clarinet break and I must now pick it back up. The third will be "30 days of proper sleep." This one was only defined as such because the true measurement would be too many words for that line, but I will define it clearly here: proper sleep, in my knowledge of my own habits, entails 7-8 hours of sleep and must include waking up between 8:00 and 10:00 AM. I know it sounds strange to many of you that someone would WANT to be awake that early, but I know myself well enough to realize that this is the only way I can make it through a day and accomplish things; sleeping in always makes me groggy and lazy.

Finally, as for the set-up of the blogs for thirty days, you can expect that I'll blog about everything from nothing to something (much like my videos) and they will vary in length from not much to long (but not too long). I will always end with my 30 day accomplishments, if they have been accomplished, and if they have not by the time I post, I will write when I plan to accomplish them. If it is something, like sleep, which cannot be accomplished if it has not already been accomplished, I will simply mark an "O" and cry a little inside. Similarly, if they have been accomplished, I'll mark an "X" and cheer a little inside. So! For the first day we have:

Blogging: X
Proper sleep: X
Clarinet: X

See you tomorrow!

3 comments:

  1. Woohoo!

    Blogging every day for a month is surprisingly easy, yet very thought provoking and therapeutic at the same time. I look verily forward to watching you fail, by which i do of course mean succeed, in all of your appointed tasks.

    In a similar way i might start up a 30 day plan for myself - possibly 'at least 1 hour writing' each day to try and jolt myself out of the doldrums i've also fallen into.

    Still, looking forward to the blogs, and make sure you tweet them! If not, message me, because i know that no one logs in to check their blogspot subscriptions :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the back of my mind I have told myself that I need to set goals for my summer, but (surprise, surprise) I haven't done so yet. I think tonight I'm going to lay out some plans for the rest of my summer, so I feel like I accomplished something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am actually really good at holding people to their promises, if I feel I am allowed to. Just ask Lizzie:)

    From what I know of your sleeping habits, I would be *surprised* to see you still up beyond 2am. I feel like you won't need much help with that one.

    I'm seeing a lot of blogging comeback. Steve LaZotte just made a video in which he wonders if Twitter and Vlogging have killed the textual blog. I like the medium of the blog, and I too am trying to do it more. I'm wondering if the resurgence has anything to do with the summer.

    ReplyDelete