Friday, June 4, 2010

Bloggin' my words like yeah.

So today had one failure and two major successes, which I hate having to make excuses for. Alas, it is so. Today my brother graduated from high school, which, of course, necessitates a full day of family celebration and it would have been rude to leave the family to practice my silly little clarinet for such a monumental occasion. I also had to be up at a whopping seven in the morning, but I still had seven hours of sleep, so it's technically a success, though I still felt quite tired. I guess I'll give it a slash because it met the rule but not the spirit of the rule. And clearly I'm blogging, so you know, it's a win of sorts.

As for the ceremony, it was much easier than mine was from the same high school. It helped that his class was half the size of mine (the largest in my high school's history--856 students!) and it also helped that the valedictorian had an entertaining and BRIEF speech. Also the fact that their class song was Party in the USA by Miley Cyrus made for an entertaining graduation because I was sure half the class hated it or at least found it humorously ironic.

I'm not going to lie, when I saw my brother walk out toward the end of the first set of students, I was a bit seized by emotion. It was just strange to me to think that he's going off to college. Somehow, in my imagination, he has stayed a freshman in high school while I was off rising through the grades in college. On the contrary, he is going off to university in just over a month for summer classes. He's one of very few of my nearly 20 cousins not to major in the arts, which makes him a little... I don't know... untouchable. He and my Dad have spent the last few nights debating the physics of MythBusters or how to use the engineering of the refrigerator to get the perfectly soft ice cream. It's strange to me that now he knows lots of things I don't. I guess that's part of being an adult.

Well, that was a bit of a ramble. I guess I should wrap this thing up. My brother's a big boy and I'm proud of him, and realizing more and more that he's just as easy to envy as he claims I am. God, I love my family.

Clarinet: O
Sleep: /
Blogging: X

1 comment:

  1. This was a heartwarming tale to read :)

    My brother's 3 years older than me, and has just finished his degree in Biochemistry, which is obviously a field i know nothing at all about. I have a similar situation, where my dad is an electrical engineer, and my mum's a biologist, but i'm studying english. It makes for a weird perception of what 'real' jobs are from my parents - sciences provide grounds for tangible services to humanity, whereas arts offer an entirely different set of benefits. I'm not sure my parents are convinced that creative writing and video-making is a legitimate career or not, but hey, it's my life.

    ReplyDelete